Welcome

My Daddy's Blog About Me

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Change in Heart


Kaia does this funny thing where she backs up into me when she wants to snuggle.  No matter where I am on the couch or floor, she always needs to be near me.  I love it.  The past week of having Kaia has been an absolute joy.  I imagine its hard for some to believe that a man would enjoy being alone wiwth his daughter for an entire week and weekend, but I would not trade a single moment in for the world.  Its funny how my friends know now not to text me when I have Kaia because the answer will be no.  I still like to have fun, but I have the most fun hanging out with a 13 month old little girl who is sillier than I am.  Kaia’s new favorite thing to do is to stand behind me on the couch and smack my vald head unitl I turn around.  She then ducks down to hide, all the time she is laughing as hard as she can.  No greater joy. 

A friend of mine asked me what do I do now that I have Kaia for so many more days than before.  I replied the normal stuff.  Other than racing around the house, we go to the park( she is still not a fan of the swings), go shopping, read books… Just the normal father / daughter stuff.  I still watch football on Sundays; I just have a little girl curled up next to me on the couch.  I wouldn’t want it any other way…

Its sometimes hard for me to believe that it was just over a year ago, I was the life of the party.  Now the best part of my life is barely past my knees.  I hate to be cliché and one of those parents who completely lose their identity in their kids.  I am still crazy ol Oliver who loves a stiff cocktail, I just now enjoys those every other weekend when I don’t have Kaia… in between doing her laundry and cutting on coupons for diapers.

I just don’t get how some people can be “dead beat “parents.  I find no greater joy than watching Kaia laugh.  It touches a place in my heart I never knew existed until now, the scary thing is that each day, that joy and love grows deeper and deeper as she becomes more of “Daddy’s Girl”.    I unfortunately know that I am setting myself up for disaster once she turns 13 and I become a dinosaur, but it is my hope that she remembers all the Sunday trips to the park, and all the Sunday afternoon ice creams runs.  I hope she know that for the rest of my life, no single thing will ever make my heart skip a beat, like a smile from her…. Even if she still only has 4 teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment